SearchCap: The Day In Search, July 15, 2009
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web. From Search Engine Land: Google To Newspapers: Robots.Txt You Newspaper attacks on Google somehow apparently overstepping fair use and stealing their material are just escalating, with a European led “Hamburg Declaration” coming out last week. […]
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- Google To Newspapers: Robots.Txt You
Newspaper attacks on Google somehow apparently overstepping fair use and stealing their material are just escalating, with a European led “Hamburg Declaration” coming out last week. Now Google’s blogged a response that basically says if you want out of Google, it’s easily done with a robots.txt file.
That, of course, is what search engine savvy people […]
- comScore: Bing Barely Gaines Share In June 2009
Now a third major ratings service has released search engine share figures for June 2009, and like the others, they show that Bing made only a tiny gain in the wake of its launch and major ad campaign.
The comScore figures have gone out to the financial analyst community, and the comScore press […]
- Google Voice For Mobile: One Number To Rule Them All
Google has created a mobile app for its Google Voice service, right now only for Android and BlackBerry with an iPhone app to come. Think of this as Skype for mobile only more so, because there’s a usable number associated with the service and integration with your phone’s contacts.
Effectively what the mobile app allows you […]
- Bing & Twitter Mesh With BingTweets
Microsoft announced a new portal that combines Bing search and Twitter. The new site is named BingTweets and it basically brings together classic web search from Bing, with real-time search elements from Twitter.
This service was built by both Microsoft, Twitter and Federated Media. It does not seem like Twitter is doing anything more […]
- Google Versus News Organizations: What’s Fair?
A new Columbia Journalism Review opinion piece argues persuasively (in my view) that Google “owes” something to traditional journalism and news organizations. Google, typically, is a stand-in for “the internet” in these discussions. This notion of responsibility to publishers is unpopular among bloggers and Internet denizens more generally.
I tend to fault news organizations for not […]
- Get Google’s Matt Cutts To Answer Your Questions
Matt Cutts of Google has been posting dozens of videos, mostly on SEO topics, answering previously asked questions by SEOs like yourself. The videos can be seen at the Google Webmaster Help YouTube channel.
Matt is now asking you to submit new questions, because he hopes to produce more videos this Thursday to […]
- 6 Steps To Building A Successful B2B Search Content Strategy
Don’t put the cart before the horse. Don’t count your chickens before they hatch. Walk before you run. However you say it, it means the same thing: Don’t get ahead of yourself! Yet time and again, I see B2B marketers doing exactly that as they drive traffic to their website without first having the right […]
- How Multiple Marketing Channels Impact PPC Performance
How much does moment away from “last touch” allocation impact the perception of PPC marketing? Does it help PPC, or hurt? Find out what we’ve seen in the data.
Search News From Around The Web:
- Swine flu scare shuts Google office in Hyderabad, The Times of India
- Twitter, Even More Open Than We Wanted, Twitter Blog
Local, Maps & Mobile
- Google Releases Details on July Imagery Update in KML, Google Earth Blog
- Google Street View trikes to Stonehenge, newslite.tv
- Google Maps Bubble Info For Longitude & Latitude Coordinates Workaround, Search Engine Roundtable
- Local.com Announces Traffic, Results, Screenwerk
- Yahoo Develops Mobile Opt Out, MediaPost
- Link Building-Where is the personal touch?, Bruceclay.com.au
- Is Your Internal Link Structure Your Enemy or Friend?, SEO.com
Paid Search & Contextual
- How Does Moving a Keyword Effect Your Quality Score in Google AdWords?, PPC Hero
- Google Follows Their Own Trademark Rules > Allows ‘Google’ to be used in ad copy, Brad Geddes
- Google Korea With Dropdown Search Menu, Google Blogoscoped
- Google News RSS Searches Having Issues, Search Engine Roundtable
- What makes a search engine “semantic”?, Ask.com Blog
SEO & SEM
- Calculating SEO ROI – Only A Dream?, The SEO Girl
- The Value of Deep Linking, SEO.com
- Before Google News Removes Source, They Often Email Publication, Search Engine Roundtable
- Google Recommends Not Looking at Site Command Results, Search Engine Roundtable
- Helping Yahoos imagine disability, Yodel Anecdotal
- How Long Does It Take Google to Rank a New Website?, Search Engine Journal
- SEO Business Plans, SEO Book
- Working with News Publishers, Google News Blog
- Facebook Launches 3 Powerful New Targeting Features for Facebook Ads, Inside Facebook
- Twitter’s @Ev Confirms Hacker Targeted Personal Accounts; Attack Was “Highly Distressing.”, TechCrunch
- @googlebooks on Twitter, Inside Google Books
- How Many Calories Does My Body Need?, Wolfram|Alpha Blog
- How to Steal Readers and Traffic Through Guest Blogging, outspokenmedia.com
- Inside Twitter HQ, The Guardian
- Now Connecting 250 Million People, Facebook
- Ten Commandments of Power Account Submitters, O’Reilly Broadcast
- Twitroduce: A Fresh Approach to Twitter Social Networking, Search Engine Journal
- Yahoo! 360 has been shut down, Yahoo Profile Blog
Video, Music & Image Search
- How & Why to Optimize Image Size, Search Engine Journal
Recent Hot Items From Sphinn, Our Social News Sharing Site: