SearchCap: The Day In Search, November 23, 2011
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web. From Search Engine Land: Bing Evokes Holiday Nostalgia In New Stop-Motion Animation Ads If you know that Hermey the elf longs to be a dentist, that Rudolph the red-nosed reindeer’s girlfriend is named Clarice, and […]
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- Bing Evokes Holiday Nostalgia In New Stop-Motion Animation Ads
If you know that Hermey the elf longs to be a dentist, that Rudolph the red-nosed reindeer’s girlfriend is named Clarice, and if you can sing “Silver and Gold” as well as Yukon Cornelius, Bing’s new holiday ad campaign will be right up your alley. The Microsoft search engine’s newest video spots play off the […]
- Is Google+ Beginning To Integrate Into Google Places?
Today Mike Blumenthal of Blumenthals.com posted about what appears to be a new addition to Google’s local results. A specific query for “transmission servicing lexington ky” displayed the normal Google Places listings, with one exception: The grey icon is displayed next to a specific places results. However, when clicked, the user is taken to the following Google+ […]
- Infographic: Online Holiday Shopping Trends
The busy shopping days of Black Friday and Cyber Monday are almost upon us. If last year is a guide, retailers have upped their search advertising, shopping by mobile phone will rise, women will be doing most of the online shopping searching and shoppers are after offers, promotions and especially free shipping. Audience targeting service […]
- Barack Obama Joins Google+, White House Itself Still Not There
First Britney Spears takes the top Google+ spot away from Google CEO Larry Page today. Now the President of the United States, Barack Obama, has opened an account. Not Yet Verified, But Yes, Real Is it really him? It’s actually a Google+ brand page for the Obama For America campaign, and not verified at the […]
- Microsoft Swaps Daily Deals Brand: It’s Now “MSN Offers”
In something of a surprise move, Microsoft has renamed its daily deals product and shifted the brand to MSN. It was “Bing Deals.” Now it’s MSN Offers. Apparently the change was the result of an effort to clear up perceived confusion. A press release went out but I discovered this through my in-box. Bing.com’s deals […]
- Oops, She Did It — Britney Spears Beats Larry Page As Most Popular On Google+
Google+ took a big step toward being a more “normal” social network today, as Britney Spears passed Larry Page to be the most followed person on the service. Move Over, Tech Celebs Until now, the most popular people on Google+ have been technology celebrities, in particular first Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg (who never posted to […]
- Search Vs. Display: Which Will Come Out On Top In 2012?
With two seemingly competitive ad executions constantly compared, it’s no wonder why search and display have a love/hate relationship. When combined, this duo knows how to drive performance. On the other hand, they compete for digital advertising dollars. We see industry trends pointing toward search as Google’s paid click revenue continues to accelerate, having jumped from […]
- Google Announces Shutter Of Knol, Gears, Search Timeline & More
Google has announced the shutting down of several Google services from the Google Search Timeline to their knowledge site, Knol. Here is a list of services Google is closing in the near future or has already closed: Google Bookmarks Lists closing on December 19, 2011, which leaves searchers with no way to recoup their Google […]
- Google Adds Mobile App Search Tool
You can now go to Google and restrict and filter your search results to only show mobile apps. To do so, search at Google for an app, and then on the search tools on the left, click “more” and then select “Applications.” Google will then show you apps from the Apple iTunes App Store, Google […]
- Six Ways Online Retailers Can Better Optimize Listings For Amazon
While Black Friday may be famous for kicking off the holiday shopping season and attracting flocks of consumers to brick-and-mortar retailers, Cyber Monday has certainly made its presence known in the online shopping community. Just last year, Cyber Monday online sales increased 19.4%, pushing the average order value up from $180.03 in 2009 to $194.89 […]
- B2B SEO: 4 Quick Tips To Make Your Content Model Fresh
Thanksgiving! There is nothing like the taste of fresh turkey when it’s hot out of the oven. However, the leftovers quickly lose their appeal after sitting in the fridge for a few days. Given Google’s Freshness update, B2B content could suffer the same fate. The Change At Hand The “Freshness” update is Google’s latest algorithm […]
Search News From Around The Web:
- At Google, a Transgender "Gold Standard", The Advocate
- Google begins advertising holiday Chromebook sale right inside of Chrome’s ‘New Tab’ page, 9to5Google
- Microsoft Signs Nondisclosure Agreement With Yahoo, New York Times
- Why Yahoo!’s Board Wants A Deal Before January 7th, Forbes
- Yahoo Cuts Off Another Group of Ad Players, Including Google, AllThingsD
Local, Maps & Mobile
- Interactive weather results, now in 34 languages, Official Google Mobile Blog
- A Toy Robot’s Cross-Country Road Trip, via Google Street View – Kasia Cieplak-Mayr von Baldegg – Video, The Atlantic
- How to Deal with Duplicate Listings on Google Places, Search Engine People
- Street View comes to beautiful Belgium, Google LatLong
Paid Search & Contextual
- Google Says “Fuck It” For The Christmas Season, Removes The Ability To Report AdSense Violations, Smackdown!
- Bing Get Ready for the Holidays with Bing, Rudolph and Friends, Bing Search Blog
- Google Advanced Search Page Updated, Search Engine Roundtable
- Preparing for food, family and football this Thanksgiving, Google Inside Search
- Some thoughts on personalization, Google Inside Search
- Update on Google Encrypted Traffic: 8.875% of Google Traffic Now (Not Available), Conductor Blog
- Google Help Forums Migrate to Google Groups, Google Operating System
SEO & SEM
- adCenter Not Updating Daily & Monthly Search Data, Search Engine Roundtable
- Getting E-Commerce Site Structure Right, Search Engine People
- How to Leverage Calendars in Search Optimization, SEO Theory
- SEO for Naver – Korea’s Largest Search Engine, Search Engine Watch
- There’s No Such Thing as "Gray Hat" SEO, BruceClay.com
- Behold Facebook’s New ‘Page Insights’ Dashboard, SEOptimise
Recent Hot Items From Sphinn, Our Social News Sharing Site:
- Guide to Link Building for Ecommerce – Linda Bustos shares a bunch of link building ideas (often with real world examples) for e-commerce sites.
- How to steal some (not provided) data back from Google – Great Google Analytics Hack for (not provided) traffic!
- How to Track Calls from Mobile Pages using Event Tracking – Good tip to capture mobile landing page click-to-call events in Google Analytics. A quick aside: One could also use the "tel:" microformat in an anchor to accomplish a similar goal.
- When Your Social Media Marketing Is A Facade – Adam Singer takes a look at a common problem: Companies presenting themselves as socially adept when they're really not.