Copie Editor Wantd, Applie Within
If you have a burning desire (and the strong skills) to correct typos and grammatical errors, we may have the perfect opportunity for you.
Do you cringe when you see a typo in a headline? When you see “Adwords” instead of “AdWords,” does it drive you crazy? Do you write comments on posts pointing out grammatical errors in the text?
Well, here’s your big chance to eliminate these pesky problems, at least on the virtual pages of Search Engine Land and Marketing Land! We’re now accepting applications for a Copy Editor position, which is described in more detail below.
This is a full-time, salaried, telecommuting position. (You’ll be able and expected to work from your home office.) The successful candidate will understand that news happens around the clock — i.e., this is not always a 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. position. Applicants must have U.S. work rights/privileges. Instructions for applying are included after the job listing.
Copy Editor/Editorial Assistant
The Copy Editor/Editorial Assistant is a member of the the Third Door Media editorial team that works with both the Features group and News team to ensure content meets standards for publishing on Search Engine Land and Marketing Land. As part of the Features group, this person works with contributed content and outside columnists. This position reports to the Executive Features Editor.
Primary Job Duties
- Assist in maintaining the schedule and managing workflow for assigned features, columns and authors for SEL & ML
- Ensure columnists are filing on deadline and on topic as assigned
- Answer columnists’ questions as appropriate and channel other requests and questions to the appropriate staff member
- Copy edit and prep columns for publication
- Includes checking for valid/appropriate links
- Validate appropriate image permissions
- Line edit for typos/proper spelling, grammar structure, style, etc.
- Ensure formatting and image placement are in keeping with editorial style
- Add sub-headings, meta tags and related articles as appropriate.
- Copy edit news briefs/top news stories and other features written by editorial staff on SEL/ML.
- Review/edit other editorial communications as needed (ex. contributor newsletter)
Secondary Job Duties
- Provide support in maintaining the editorial calendar and columnists’ assignments
- Help manage contributing columnist contact information/profile database
- Assist in gathering data as needed for reporting or planning
- Other duties as assigned by Executive Features Editor
Skills & Experience
- Journalism / Communication background preferred
- Strong English skills / copy editing experience
- Attention to detail and outstanding organizational abilities
- Strong working knowledge of online marketing terminology and trends.
- Working knowledge of WordPress / Basic HTML skills.
- Basic image editing skills.
Job Details & Candidate information: Candidates should be able to work independently and be productive from a home office and be a “people person” who can develop a smooth working relationship with contributing columnists. Experience in online marketing and social media skills highly desired. Some travel may be required.
Salary for this position will depend on experience and qualifications. Third Door Media offers full-time employees a 401k program and a generous paid time off policy.
How To Apply
Applicants must possess U.S. work rights/privileges.
We’ll accept applications from qualified candidates via email. You can be formal and send a resumé and cover letter if you want, or you can take the more casual route and just tell us what you think we should know about you. Either way, we’d like to know:
- Who you are and what you’re doing now
- Your background in journalism (if any)
- Your background in editing and writing (with samples, please)
- Why you think the position is a great fit for you
- Why you think you’re a great fit for us
Send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible, and be sure to put the name of the position as the subject of your email. We’re not going to put a specific deadline for this, but we do want to bring a great person on board as soon as possible. So, if you’re interested, don’t delay. We look forward to hearing from you!
Have something to say about this article? Share it with us on Facebook, Twitter or our LinkedIn Group.