SearchCap: The Day In Search, Dec. 6, 2006
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on
Search Engine Land and from other
places across the web:
From Search Engine Land:
- New Search Patents Granted December 5, 2006 – Tracking Yahoo’s Buzz
Three new search related patents were granted yesterday at the US Patent and Trademark Office to Yahoo, Google, and IBM.
- Yahoo To End CurrentTV Partnership
Elinor Mills reports that Yahoo and CurrentTV are to end their partnership with the Yahoo Current Network. Why? Yahoo’s statement read; “As we approach the end of the initial ramp-up period built into the partnership with CurrentTV, both parties have determined that our respective goals and objectives were diverging and mutually decided to pursue other opportunities independently.”
- Microsoft Releases Live Search Books Beta
The Live Search Blog announced that Microsoft released a beta named Live Search Books this morning. Plus they enhanced Live Search Academic by adding millions of new articles, plus indexing theses, dissertations, and books within these disciplines.
- Panama Boosts Yahoo’s Outlook?
Red Herring writes Yahoo Scores With Panama—So Far. Before the rumors and news about Yahoo COO Rosenweig Resigns; Company Reorganization Announced, Yahoo’s stock rose $0.48 to $27.38 from “receiving a thumbs-up from advertisers” on the Panama release.
- Yahoo COO Rosenweig Resigns; Company Reorganization Announced
Yahoo has announced that it is reorganizing the company into three major operating groups, one focused on audience development, another for advertisers & publisher services and the third focusing on technology. Chief Financial Officer Susan Decker will leave her position to head the advertiser and publisher group. Chief Technology Officer Farzad Nazem will head the technology group, while a search is underway for someone to head the audience division. Along with the changes it was announced that Dan Rosensweig, Yahoo’s chief operating officer, will leave Yahoo at the end of March. More details in the press release below.
Search News Headlines From Elsewhere:
- Interview with Adam Lasnik of Google, Search Engine Guide
- Google and BSkyB Sign Search, Email, Video Deal, WSJ.com
- We need providers to help us improve Google Base, Google Base Blog
- Google’s Silent Monopoly (Or How Much Does Google Pay For It’s Own AdWords?), Central Desktop Blog
- Google Scholar Creator Interviewed | Google’s Secret Storage (Cartoon) | Microsoft Book Search | Google YouSnoop (Humor) …, Google Blogoscoped
Spam Tools, Danny & SEW, Chris Boggs & SEW, Ask AskCity, MSN Bot,
Yahoo Topics & Much More, Search Pulse Podcast
Does Not Accept Mastercard?, Comparison Engines
Click Fraud Funding Al Qaeda & Hezbollah Terrorist Groups?, Search
+ KML update, Google Code Blog
videos for beginners, SEO Scoop
Party at B.L.U.E.S., Online Marketing Blog
media group head Lloyd Braun to leave co., Reuters.com
Places New Emphasis on Non-Premium Ads, ClickZ
Microsoft boss vamooses to the US, PC World
Snapshot of Search, Search Engine Guide
Acquires SEO ClickShift , Web Analytics Blog
Tips, adCenter Blog
Help Forum in French, AdSense Blog